Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Please Don’t Host your Bachelorette Party at My Favorite Gay Bar

I have been meaning to do this post since last July and was inspired today by a friend, and gay bar owner's, Facebook update, which I will share later in this post. (Thank you Wayne for stoking the fire that already existed inside of me!)

You may or may not be aware that the latest "trend" the past few years (and increasing at an alarming pace) is bachelorette parties being held at gay bars. And by being held, I mean its more of a drunken takeover. The atmosphere completely changes as these drunk, screaming, entitled young women come in with a "look at us" and "look how fabulous I am" attitude complete with penis hats, tiaras, sashes, boas, and you name it....a whole plethora of tackiness that I personally don't even try to understand.

Before I share my friend's Facebook update I mentioned above, I want to share a couple personal experiences of mine. First of all, Jacques in Boston, which was perhaps one of the first bars on the East Coast to get taken over by these drunken parties due to an article that appeared many years ago in a popular "bride" magazine. Jacques which is a Boston drag institution and gay bar is now nothing more than a playground for bachelorette parties, often hosting 3 and 4 parties in a single evening. When I go to Jacques now to see one of my favorite Boston legends like Mizery, Destiny, or Kris Knievel I feel like a stranger in my own neighborhood. If I can get past the the bachelorette girls screaming, stumbling, vomiting, belligerent behavior I still am unable to interact with my favorite queens because the girls make sure they are the center of all attention in that bar.

Last summer my husband and I went to Bear Week in Provincetown and was at a Bear week sponsored event at the Paramount. This is the last place you would expect a bachelorette party but all of a sudden as we were dancing and enjoying this Bear themed event (Bears in boxers), dozens of girls (adorned with penis hats and feather boas) came in screaming and yelling and went right to the center of the dance floor and took over. We were literally pushed out of the way as they began yelling to the DJ to play this or that generically tacky song because it is "the best song EVAH!" Marc and I left immediately and took our business elsewhere. We also felt bad for all the guys single or otherwise who were there looking to perhaps meet a new love interest or some new friends. Many of the guys we spoke with, spent a lot of money traveling to, and staying in Provincetown. I am sure this was not the experience they had looked forward to for an entire year.

Finally, I will end this post with the Facebook update I mentioned above from an amazing man and a respected gay bar/restaurant owner in Ogunquit Maine:

Dear Bachelorette Parties.. Thanks for the negative review for not allowing entry to my Business.. When you show up intoxicated you will not be allowed entry! ITS THE LAW... In fact.. I work my ass off in making sure guests are happy. To call me discriminatory is a bunch of bullshit and you know it. FACT is.. Bachelorette Parties will no longer be allowed in my business! Take your penis straws and your tacky attire and feather boas and shove them right up your ass!! I done picking up after your messy asses. Respectfully, Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...